Friday, October 29, 2010

Mommy's night out....kind of



In the last 2 months I've definitely learned that if you really need to get things done (ie: errands) it's much easier to do them solo. Elliott is not much for shopping unless he's sleeping in the Moby Wrap on my chest and that only lasts for so long. Yesterday I decided that when Gabe got home I was going to make a run to Target for some essentials and down time for myself. I fed Elliott at 6:40 and left the house by 7:15 with instructions to feed him once more before putting him down for the night. Elliott and I had a long talk about how he was going to be good for Daddy--no screaming and easily taking the bottle (these two have been issues in the past when I left). When I left, Gabe and Elliott were on the floor playing and Elliott was happily cooing and smiling.

In mid shopping trip I got a call from Gabe. Never a good sign. I could barely hear him for all the screaming in the background. From what I got, Elliott was hungry (and probably tired) and would not take the bottle. I proposed giving him a bath until I could get home. Baths ALWAYS calm him down. So, I hurried to get the necessities on my list. Of course there were 1200 people in line to checkout and only 3 lanes open.

When I got home I could hear the wails and was feeling like a horrible mom. As the rest of the story unfolded, I couldn't help but laugh. After I had talked to Gabe he put Elliott in the tub. Elliott immediately relaxed. He relaxed so much that he pooped all over the tub after about 5 minutes in. The funny thing is, he has never done that before. So, my precious husband had to take him out and the screaming commenced again. When I got home, Elliott was in his diaper and still not very happy. Gabe says to me, "I don't know how you do this all by yourself every day!"

So, Mom's night out was kind of thwarted by a baby with definite tastes about his milk and how he gets it. Gabe says that in the future maybe mom's night out could wait until the last feeding of the evening!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! That's hilarious! I'm sorry that happened to Gabe, but doesn't kind of make you feel better when the husband understands more about what we go through every day? He's getting SO big. I love the adorable outfit he's in. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete